Monday, July 22, 2013

The Honeymoon Is Not Over

Jerry and have been married for six years and one special thing we do each year is take a "honeymoon week" for ourselves.  We have the whole week without the kids!  Sometimes we go away and sometimes we stay home and do projects around the house.  We went to Alaska on our original honeymoon.  One year, we borrowed a motorcycle and rode about 1500 miles!  Last year, we had free  airline tickes and we used them to go on a mission trip to Costa Rica.  This year is a stay at home honeymoon.

We have a couple of projects planned for this week.  One of them is to turn a claw foot tub, that I have been toting around for years, into a water feature in our yard.  We have a friend that builds ponds and he gave us some advice about how to make it work.  We have been collecting bits of things from friends and neighbors so the project isn't costing very much.  I bought an old rusty pitcher from the salvage yard for a dollar and that will create the fountain!  We are reusing copper pipes from the bathroom we tore out downstairs and bits of PVC from our neighbor who has a garage full.  Our friend Tom the pond guy, had some leftover pea gravel from a project he was working on.  We have plenty of  rocks and screen laying around, and Jerry has a collection of pumps!

I am always fascinated at how my husband can take all of these scraps and things and turn them into whatever my imagination can dream up!  I am learning however, that what may seem like a simple job is often complicated and time consuming!  (Remind me to tell you about the pantry!)  I am an impatient person and I am having to learn to sit still and be quiet!  Some people that know me are saying, "Well, it's about time!"

I have to say that I really love our honeymoon trips when we get to go away!  It is harder to keep this time for ourselves when we are here at home.  There wasn't money this year to go away though, and it is still refreshing to not have the responsibility of kids and work.  We love sleeping in, eating whenever we feel like it, and being able to jump in the car and go whenever the mood strikes us!

Carter was inquiring about our honeymoon week the other day and I told him how important I think it is for parents to have time together without their kids.  "When you get married and have kids," I told him, "we will watch the kids for a week every year so that you can have that time with your wife!"  

"What if I live far away?" he asked.

"Then we will come to you," I replied.  We will do that for all four of you.

"What if we all want to go away at one time?" Carter inquired?

"Then we will keep all of the grand kids together!"  Oh boy!  For now, I am glad it is just us for a week.  I'll start missing them them in a couple of days though!

Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth- for your love is more delightful than wine.  
Take me away with you—let us hurry!  Let the king bring me into his chambers.
Song of Songs 1:2,4

No comments:

Post a Comment