Tuesday, February 14, 2012

In the Way

By Wendy Custer

I came upon a man stocking shelves at the grocery store today and, as I passed him in the aisle, I said, "Excuse me!"

I was simply being polite, but when I rolled by, the man murmured, "I'm sorry, I am in the way. I started to refute his statement, but he just kept talking. "I'm always in the way," he mumbled to himself. I even feel like I am in the way when I am sleeping."

Wondering what could have made this gentleman feel so bad about himself, I simply commented, "Well, I appreciate you being here. If you weren't, our shelves would be empty."

The man responded with a surprised laugh and I continued my shopping. After I rounded the next corner, he came around the aisle and exclaimed, "Since you said you appreciated me, I'll tell you Happy Valentine's Day!"

That man stayed in my mind all day! Having just participated in the "Love and Respect" conference, God's command for women to respect their husbands was ringing in my ears. I don't know if this man was married, but he certainly was not feeling respected! I found myself praying for his wife to appreciate him when he got home.

As I contemplated what to do for my husband this Valentine's Day, I thought a lot about what would make him feel appreciated and respected. I realize that I need to think about that every day and not just special occasions. I pray that, on those days that I make my husband feel like he is in the way, God will bring the man from the grocery store back into my mind. I hope that I will remember how easy it was to make him feel appreciated and what a delighted response I received from that small act of kindness. I hope that I can stop and express the kind of appreciation for my own husband that I was able to give a complete stranger.

It is my goal to show my husband, not only that he is not in my way, but that I actually like having him around - when he is awake and while he is sleeping!


The wife must respect her husband.
Ephesians 5:33

No comments:

Post a Comment